* Alan * Robin * Kimberly * Benjamin *Zachary * Nicholas *

The Daniels Family - California Edition
_____________________________


Monday, July 29, 2013

Getting Settled







Well, we have been here in So Cal for about 2 1/2 weeks and we are finally getting settled.  The house is unpacked and re-decorated (all except for a few little things).  Today is the first day in about 6 weeks  that I don't have any "move" related stuff to take care of!

So far we are liking our new home.  It is small, but surprisingly well planned and so we don't feel squished. But the townhouse is pretty nice and newer and with the paint and all our things, it feels very "homey".  There are 3 really great things about where we live besides that it is just a nice area. #1. It is a 12 minute commute for Alan.  He really loves that part.  And I love that he doesn't waste precious family time in the car.  Plus, despite the cost of gas here, I think we will actually spend a little less on it because we don't have to drive so much.  Which brings me to great thing #2! I am less than 3 miles from anything I could possibly need..... Target, Home Depot, Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Costco, Movie Theaters, Restaurants, 7/11 ;-), etc.....  It is great to not have to drive 30 minutes to get to everything.  #3 Like, is the weather!!!! I DO NOT miss the AZ summer heat! The temp hasn't been over 85/86 degrees yet.  Though it has been really humid, which I have been assured is not normal.  Even the locals are complaining about the humidity.  But it is really nice to drive around with the windows open.  The kids love it.  I have barely touched my AC in the car.

Alan is really liking the new job and he seems to be having some success.  The last report said that so far this start his team was leading the region in all admissions stats! Plus he got a new car which he is thrilled about.  It is a 1970 VW Beetle.  Haha.  It is super cute but still manly at the same time.  It has been nicely restored and he gets lots of compliments on it.  It was much "cooler" than anything else we could have picked up in that price range.  Hopefully it lasts a while.

So far the ward has been good.  Everyone has been friendly, but it is nice to be enjoying a break from callings for a while.  And as big as our ward boundaries are, the building is still only about a half mile from our house. That's even closer than in AZ.  We finally made it to the beach this weekend.  Not for long, but for as long as mommy and Zachary could handle.  We went with the Foate Family down to Dana Point and the kids had a blast.  Alan is convinced that he is going to become a surfer.  We went to Costco and bought him a foam board for $99.  It will be good for practicing on.  I haven't worked out in about 6 weeks because I have been so darn busy! But I am grateful for feeling so busy and stressed because that is probably what has kept me from gaining any weight.  But I am back to the grind tonight.  In addition to a pool and hot tub, our complex has a little fitness room.  So I will be resuming workouts tonight.

It is weird to not have a job or a calling or anything I'm committed to right now.  I hope I will use this time wisely to do more of things like reading to my kids or taking them to the park, or updating my blog..... I guess we shall see!

No comments: